Panchakarma is an Ayurvedic practice that eliminates toxins from the body. Ayurveda believes that most of the body's ailments results from an accumulation of these dosha vruddhi (toxins). Panchakarma is the best and most effective way to eliminate the doshas.
'Pancha' means five in Sanskrit and 'karma' means procedures. Panchakarma thus means five therapeutic procedures that are meant to cleanse the body from within by eliminating the toxins.
It is important to note that these procedures are not necessarily meant for patients; they are also recommended for normal people to maintain their health.
Panchakarma includes the following five purification therapies:
There also are two pre-procedures before Panchakarma. They include snehan and svedan.
Benefits of Panchakarma
- Eliminate toxins and toxic conditions from your body
- Restore your constitutional balance; improving health and wellness
- Strengthen your immune system
- Reverse the negative effects of stress on your body and mind, thereby slowing the aging process
- Enhance your self-reliance, strength and energy
- Bring about deep relaxation and a sense of well-being